Friday, September 4, 2015

Making Healthy Seals Simpler/Meal Prep- The In-laws are Coming

   I have firsthand knowledge about the difficulties of staying on a food budget AND it being healthy as well... I have found that meal prep is my saving grace! I do my bulk shopping at the beginning of the month and here is what I buy and why.

what I bought at Sams Club-


5 packs of chicken for dinner
1 pack of boneless skinless chicken tenderloins (easy for thawing even if y I you pull it out an hour before lunch)
1 large bag of cheese for quiches (usually last me about 3 months)
7.5 dozen eggs usually lasts me 2 months 
2 half and half for  coffee and quiches
=$99.05
This is enough lunches for me and dinners for the both of us for a month and quiches for about 2 months

As I mentioned in my previous post about the quiche- you wouldn't believe what a lifesaver it is! As a nursing marmee I know I need that protein for a great start to my day, so if I'm in a rush and am not able to make my usual fried eggs and yogurt parfait, quiche is always there for me.

   Lunch must be quick and easy or I don't make it. At the beginning of the month I buy ALL my meat  and bag/freeze it. I buy the boneless skinless chicken tenderloins ($2.18/lb at Sam's Club)  I separate the package into snack size bags and to the freezer they go.

   For dinner if I don't separate, package and freeze my meat it always goes bad- ALWAYS! This way even if we don't have the planned dinner that is meant for that evening, we can have it the next night. So in the morning I pull out a chicken baggie for lunch and the dinner meat. It has helped tremendously. For the 2 of us we spend about $75 on chicken and usually a pack of steak. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...